12/18/2011

Lemon Bites

Where do I start with these things? They should be easier than candy because there isn't any special temperatures or fiddly syrups that can burn. However, whether I was just doing too much I don't know, but I managed to miss the part of the recipe that said to grease a 9x9 pan and instead I threw everything into a round pizza pan. This resulted in the 'lemon bars' (because that is what they were supposed to be) cooking in half the time and turning out about half as thick as they should have been. I won't even get started on the blinding pain of lemon juice squirting in my eyes when I was squeezing enough lemons to make up 1 (american) cup of fresh lemon juice.
When the pan came out of the oven I was tempted to throw it all in the bin and try again, but it actually tasted really good, so I dumped a load of icing sugar on top and cut them into little 'bites' for finger food. Next time I'll be sure to use the correct pan size, but at least now I know that if I do mess up these little things are easy to recover and serve up.

3 comments:

Sarah Stevenson said...

I can sympathize--my baking luck has not been good this year. I made a nice batch of chai spice shortbread cookies from a new recipe I found, but then when I went to make meringue cookies, I learned the hard way that ANY yolk in the meringue will ruin it. SIGH.

tanita✿davis said...

Oy. Sounds like the lemon cake; we used to try everything (blender, food processor, microwave) to juice those lemons. I cheated and bought juice in a bottle at the health food store...

Never had a lemon candy sort of lemon bite, ours are usually cake based with a sort of hard candy topper. I'll have to find a recipe.

tanita✿davis said...

My previous comment got eaten - I was saying that I've only had these lemon bites with a lemon bar base and a candied frosting. I have a bottle of lime juice from the health food store; these look worth a try. This time of year, everything seems too sweet, so I invest in a lot of citrus and cranberry desserts.