11/09/2011

Blue Stars


My friends and I all love cake - it's like crack to us. So when I and D announced they were having a welcome party for their new baby it was a perfect opportunity for some baking and messing around with buttercreams. I didn't have time to get down to the shops so really the only food colour I had in the house was a couple of bottles of Squires Kitchen, one navy and one yellow. Which was handy as I had some navy and yellow cupcake papers.
I made up a batch of vanilla sponge - although I was a bit apprehensive about the recipe because I was using a gluten-free flour blend that I hadn't used before. But beginners luck or whatever it was the cupcakes baked beautifully soft and light. I'd made up the buttercream a couple of days previous and let it sit in the fridge to amalgamate or whatever - buttercream always seems to work better when it's been in the fridge overnight or for a couple of days. Piped onto the cakes it actually worked well, previous to this I'd used a syringe for piping and that always just results in the frosting spilling over the top of the syringe and all over my clothes. This time I tried a piping bag which was stiff and a pain in the arse to clean but it was easier to control. I dyed some fondant navy, cut out some stars from and waalaa some lovely cupcakes fit for a welcoming party for a little boy.

4 comments:

Sarah Stevenson said...

Yum! Hope it goes over well & say hi to D & I for me.

Also, I approve of the amount of frosting--it drives me nuts when there's way too much frosting on a cupcake. :)

Is said...

They were lovely and tasted delicious.

tanita✿davis said...

Wow, the cakes are gorgeous. All that from things you "just had around the house?" I need to get a better house! And I've never quite gotten the hang of gluten-free flour...

Elimare said...

hiya T,
it actually happened that I had some fondant from something else that i ended up using a LOT less of than I'd thought. :)