11/18/2011

Christmas Cards

A couple of years ago around Christmas time I got terribly creative and decided that instead of buying a box of manufactured Christmas cards I would make my own. I'm a half decent photographer and I'd decorated the house up a bit with christmas stuff, so a couple of cute pictures of Christmas gnomes and lights on a card would be much more personal than a packet of cards from Tesco right?

Well it was, but it was also a lot more work. Because I just couldn't get the photo I wanted the way I wanted it, which of course meant spending an evening shooting a string of red Christmas lights in bokeh with various Christmassy type decorations in the foreground. Using my macro lens I got the shots I wanted, nice bokeh with
a cute gnome to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Then it was a matter of going through the photos, editing and printing. I trimmed the edges with the 'fancy' setting on the guillotine and stick them onto the cards.

I think they turned out pretty, but half the people who got them didn't realise they were 'handmade' by me. *sigh*
The following year I didn't bother sending any cards.

2 comments:

Sarah Stevenson said...

It's always the risk you run when you give something really nice and handmade...Anyway, *I* think they look lovely.

tanita✿davis said...

Hahah! Well, yes. The trouble with looking too professional. Next time use glitter and macaroni and watch the compliments roll in...